Tuesday 19 May 2020

Spice Bag

Is it really a recipe if it's just seasoning chucked over frozen breaded chicken and chips? Well, it's getting an entry anyway because the true gem is the spice bag seasoning which I think I've almost perfected, give or take a few tweaks.

This recipe is based on the Irish takeaway staple of the same name. I've been craving it for about a month whilst in lockdown but of course, spice bag seasoning doesn't exist in Wales so I had to make my own. Every takeaway had their own version so I just played with spices until it smelt like my favourite version and then I had to write it down so I don't forget it when this tub runs out! 

Spice mix 
2 tsp ground sea salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp mild chilli powder 
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp onion salt
1.5 tsp Chinese five spice
Optional: replace half a teaspoon of mild chilli powder with half a teaspoon of cayenne

Method
1. Cook your breaded chicken and chips however you like. This works with any type of chips and any type of breaded chicken, including chicken nuggets. I haven't tried with any of the quorn versions but I reckon it would be almost identical. 
2. Pour two teaspoons of the spice mix in with about a tablespoon of oil into a wok or a pan large enough to toss everything in. Heat up the oil and spice mix until you can smell the spices (the fancy word word for this is tempering or blooming depending on which culture you ask) 
3. Chuck your chips and chicken into the wok with the spices and give it a good shake and toss so everything gets covered.
4. Top with sliced red chilli peppers and cheese if you want to take a bit of the heat out.




No comments:

Post a Comment