Monday 16 December 2019

Chickpea Fruity Curry

This one is adapted from a Jack Monroe recipe. If you've been in a coma for the last three years and have somehow stumbled on my blog without ever seeing cooking on a bootstrap, you should definitely have a look through Jack's recipes, they are delicious and cheap and the newer ones are all vegetarian/ vegan friendly.

Ingredients 
1 tin chickpeas
1 tin peaches
1 tin chopped tomatoes 
1 handful frozen diced onions
2 teaspoons garlic paste (or 2 cloves of garlic) 
Medium Curry Powder or Garam Masala - just keep adding it until the spirit of an ancient and benevolent chef tells you it's enough. Not all spice blends are creates equal. 

Method
1. Heat the onions in a frying pan over a low heat. When they look just about defrosted, add the garlic paste and some of your chosen spice blend, keep it on a low heat, you don't want the onions to brown. 
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pop them in boiling water to soften them a little. 
3. Drain the peaches, keeping the juice for the sauce later. Chop them into chunks, the size is up to you, I went for about 1 inch chunks. 
4. Add the peaches, peach juice, chickpeas and chopped tomatoes to the spiced onion mix. At this point I added about a teaspoon of curry powder because I tasted it and the flavours weren't quite where I wanted them to be, I recommend tasting at this point, but remember that the flavours are going to develop and intensify as you simmer it for at least half an hour and the liquid reduces. I added a cup of water half way through as the sauce was a little too thick, and then I let it thicken again.

I served this with turmeric rice with raisins I'd soaked in apple juice overnight, it made for a perfect sweet and savory, fruity and spicy meal that I'm sure I'm going to make again and again.. Maybe with spinach next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment